Contact Us Today!
ON YOUR SIDE
Over 2000 Cases Handled
EXCELLENT Lawyer Rating - AVVO
DRUG CHARGE- DISMISSED
DUI CHARGE - DISMISSED
WE OFFER PAYMENT
PLANS CALL TODAY FOR A
SLG CRIMINAL LAW GROUP
515 S. Flower Street
Los Angeles CA 90071
The Seriousness of Homicide Charges
If you or a loved one has been charged with any form of homicide, you know the fear that comes with being accused of the most serious of crimes. This is certainly a time when hiring an experienced criminal defense attorney is, in reality, your only option. At The SLG Criminal Law Group, we specialize in criminal defense, and we will fight for your rights with the dedication and aggressiveness you need at this critical time.
What is “Homicide” in California?
"Homicide" is a term used generally to describe the killing of a person by another. In California, it includes a number of subcategories:
- Involuntary Manslaughter – A killing that that is not intentional, and occurs during the commission of (a) an act which, although unlawful, is not a felony, or (b) an act which is not in itself unlawful, but which involves a high risk of serious bodily injury or death.
- Vehicular Manslaughter – Requires gross negligence that caused the death of another through the operation of a motor vehicle.
- Voluntary Manslaughter – The intentional killing of another with a conscious disregard for human life, but without malice.
- Second Degree Murder – The unlawful killing of another. Second Degree Murder does not require premeditation, but does require malice aforethought. It also includes the killing of another, whether unintentional or intentional, during the commission of a crime, as long as the perpetrator had the specific intent to commit the crime.
- First Degree Murder – The premeditated killing of another with malice aforethought.
- Murder with Special Circumstances – This category of homicide exposes the defendant to the possibility of the imposition of the death penalty. Examples of “special circumstances” are situations where there are multiple murder victims, or where the victim is a member of the criminal justice system (a prosecutor, police officer or judge).
What Can Our Lawyers Do For You?
The consequences of a conviction for any homicide crime are severe. Given the nature of the offense and the potential penalties, this is an area in which you need an experienced criminal defense lawyer at your side every step of the way. These are usually complex cases which can become lengthy; they do not lend themselves to representation by an attorney who is not qualified in the area of criminal law.
At The SLG Criminal Law Group, we have the experience and resources to defend a charge of homicide. We pride ourselves on keeping our clients informed of any significant developments in their cases, and we have the aggressiveness and know-how you want in your lawyer, especially when the charge is as serious as homicide. If you contact us, you will receive a free consultation, during which you will be able to explain, in complete confidence, the facts as you know them to be. We will then be in a position to look at the prosecution’s case, interview witnesses, examine other evidence, and provide you with a sound and understandable strategy for your defense. You make the decisions, but we provide our expert guidance at all stages during the way. Whether it’s filing pre-trial motions, hiring an expert defense witness, or going to trial, you have our guarantee that your interests will always come first.
Remember that the prosecution begins to build its case even before an arrest. If you or a loved one has been charged with homicide, you need to hire the right attorney to begin to build your defense, and any delay can be harmful to your case and to your future.
For a free, no obligation, confidential consultation, call us now at 213-236-3660